TELEREHAB POLICY & TERMS OF SERVICE
Name: Country Hills Physiotherapy
Address: 8730 Country Hills Blvd NW #230, Calgary, AB T3G 0E2
The Therapist and clinic staff have offered to communicate using the following means of electronic communication (“the Services”)
- Video Conferencing AKA Telerehab
- Text Messaging (including instant messaging)
- Social Media– through the company Facebook or Instagram pages
PATIENT ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND AGREEMENT:
I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand the risks, limitations, conditions of use, and instructions for use of the selected electronic communication Services more fully described in the Appendix to this consent form. I understand and accept the risks outlined in the Appendix to this consent form, associated with the use of the Services in communications with the Therapist and the clinic staff. I consent to the conditions and will follow the instructions outlined in the Appendix, as well as any other conditions that the therapist may impose on communications with patients using the Services.
I acknowledge and understand that despite recommendations that encryption software be used as a security mechanism for electronic communications, it is possible that communications with the Therapist or clinic staff using these Services may not be encrypted. Despite this, I agree to communicate with the Therapist or clinic staff using these Services with a full understanding of the risk.
I acknowledge that either I or the Therapist may, at any time, withdraw the option of communicating electronically through the Services upon providing written notice. Any questions I had have been answered.
Risks of using electronic communication
The Therapist will use reasonable means to protect the security and confidentiality of information sent and received using the Services (“Services” is defined in the attached Consent to use electronic communications). However, because of the risks outlined below, the Therapist cannot guarantee the security and confidentiality of electronic communications:
- Use of electronic communications to discuss sensitive information can increase the risk of such information being disclosed to third parties.
- Despite reasonable efforts to protect the privacy and security of electronic communication, it is not possible to completely secure the information.
- Employers and online Services may have a legal right to inspect and keep electronic communications that pass through their system.
- Electronic communications can introduce malware into a computer system, and potentially damage or disrupt the computer, networks, and security settings.
- Electronic communications can be forwarded, intercepted, circulated, stored, or even changed without the knowledge or permission of the Therapist or the patient.
- Even after the sender and recipient have deleted copies of electronic communications, back-up copies may exist on a computer system.
- Electronic communications maybe disclosed in accordance with a duty to report or a court order.
- Videoconferencing using Services such as Skype or FaceTime may be more open to interception than other forms of videoconferencing.
If the email or text is used as an e-communication tool, the following are additional risks:
- Email, text messages, and instant messages can more easily be misdirected, resulting in increased risk of being received by unintended and unknown recipients.
- Email, text messages, and instant messages can be easier to falsify than handwritten or signed hard copies. It is not feasible to verify the true identity of the sender, or to ensure that only the recipient can read the message once it has been sent.
Limitations of Telerehab videoconferencing
- There are some limitations to Telerehab video conferencing which may include: Inability to fully evaluate swelling and bruising, inability to palpate the injured area and surrounding tissues, inability to perform some special tests via Telerehab. As such, you acknowledge that diagnosis is provisional. You also understand that hands-on care cannot be provided via Telerehab.
Conditions of using the Services
- While the Therapist will attempt to review and respond in a timely fashion to your electronic communication, the Therapist cannot guarantee that all electronic communications will be reviewed and responded to within any specific period of time. The Services will not be used for medical emergencies or other time-sensitive matters.
- If your electronic communication requires or invites a response from the Therapist and you have not received a response within a reasonable time period, it is your responsibility to follow up to determine whether the intended recipient received the electronic communication and when the recipient will respond.
- Electronic communication is not an appropriate substitute for in-person or over-the-telephone communication or clinical examinations, where appropriate, or for attending the Emergency Department when needed. You are responsible for following up on the Therapist’s electronic communication and for scheduling appointments where warranted.
- Electronic communications concerning diagnosis or treatment may be printed or transcribed in full and made part of your medical record. Other individuals authorized to access the medical record, such as staff and billing personnel, may have access to those communications.
- The Therapist may forward electronic communications to staff and those involved in the delivery and administration of your care. The Therapist might use one or more of the Services to communicate with those involved in your care. The Therapist will not forward electronic communications to third parties, including family members, without your prior written consent, except as authorized or required by law.
- You agree to inform the Therapist of any types of information you do not want sent via the Services, in addition to those set out above. You can add to or modify the above list at any time by notifying the Therapist in writing.
- Some Services might not be used for therapeutic purposes or to communicate clinical information. Where applicable, the use of these Services will be limited to education, information, and administrative purposes.
- The Therapist is not responsible for information loss due to technical failures associated with your software or internet service provider.
- In the unlikely event of an emergency during your appointment, the Therapist can contact your emergency contact. If your emergency contact cannot be reached, the Therapist may contact emergency medical Services as needed.
- You agree to notify the Therapist if you are out of the City of Calgary during your Telerehab appointment. You will advise the Therapist of your location during the appointment
Instructions for communication using the Services
To communicate using the Services, you must:
- Reasonably limit or avoid using an employer’s or other third party’s computer.
- Inform the Therapist of any changes in the patient’s email address, mobile phone number, or other account information necessary to communicate via the Services.
If the Services include email, instant messaging, and/or text messaging, the following applies:
- Include in the message’s subject line an appropriate description of the nature of the communication (e.g. “Question re: exercise program”), and your full name in the body of the message.
- Review all electronic communications to ensure they are clear and that all relevant information is provided before sending to the Therapist.
- Ensure the Therapist is aware when you receive an electronic communication from the Therapist, such as by a reply message (even if it is a brief ‘thank you’).
- Take precautions to preserve the confidentiality of electronic communications, such as using screen savers and safeguarding computer passwords.
- Withdraw consent only by email or written communication to the Therapist